Jets and Hurricanes Look to End First Half Strong
The Winnipeg Jets will look to shake things up when they land in North Carolina to take on the Hurricanes on Tuesday. The Jets are just 4-5-1 in their last 10 games, and that recent slide has caused them to fall out of a playoff spot in the Western Conference.
TIME: 7 p.m. ET. TV: TSN3, FS Carolina; LINE: Carolina -170; O/U: 6 Under -115
Justin Williams has carved out a reputation for delivering in the clutch. He has earned the nickname “Mr. Game 7” for rising to the occasion when the stakes are highest. Williams came through in a big spot in his season debut and leads the Carolina Hurricanes into their final game before the All-Star break against the visiting Winnipeg Jets tonight.
The last two losses for the Jets have been particularly tough. They suffered a 7-1 clobbering at the hands of the Tampa Bay Lightning last Friday and lost 5-2 to the Chicago Blackhawks on Sunday. Netminder Connor Hellebuyck got the start for both of those games. It’ll be interesting to see if he gets the call this Tuesday.
Carolina has been inconsistent of late as well. They just ended a three-game losing skid on Sunday with a shootout victory over the New York Islanders. The Hurricanes will attempt to make it two wins in a row and tighten their hold on a playoff spot.
The captain of Carolina in its run to the Eastern Conference finals last season, Williams ended his retirement early this month and scored the decisive goal in the shootout versus the New York Islanders. It came at a good time as it saw the end to the team’s three-game slide. “Butterflies are going, but you need to settle yourself down,” Williams said. “It was fun and we got what we wanted: two points. And we got another (game) before the break.”
Winnipeg is skidding into the break with four losses in five games, having been outscored 12-3 in back-to-back losses to Tampa Bay and Chicago. “We’re playing against teams tight with us in the standings,” defenseman Josh Morrissey said. “These next two games before the break, and then the push towards the end of the season, we’re going to have to be at our best, we’re going to have to go to another level here and get wins.”
This, That, and a Dart Throw
The Jets are 25-20-4 on the season. Injuries have plagued Winnipeg this season. The team was hit with another when center Adam Lowry had to exit Sunday’s game in the first period due to an upper-body ailment. He left the arena with his left arm in a sling. “We still have to get the final testing, get it looked at back at home,” coach Paul Maurice told reporters of Lowry’s injury. But, it’s not short term so it will be a month before we’re talking about his re-entry.” Andrew Copp took Lowry’s place on the third line at Monday’s practice.
The Hurricanes are 28-18-3 on the season. Williams had 23 goals and 53 points last season before scoring four goals in the playoffs. He had three shots on goal and logged 13 minutes of ice time before recording his fifth deciding goal in a shootout. “I expected him to be a little more rusty, just the pace because that was a fast game,” coach Rod Brind’Amour said of the 38-year-old Williams. “But he fit right in. He put in the work and it showed.” Carolina is in dire need of offense after scoring four times in its last four games.
Read our Review to See Why Intertops has been Around since 1996
The Dart Throw: Carolina 3, Jets 2
- Trend Under is 23-9 in Hurricanes last 32 games as a home favorite of -151 to -200. Hit % 71.90% (32) O/U 9|23 Push 0 W/L
- Over is 5-2 in Hurricanes last 7 games a home underdog of +110 to +150. 71.40% (7) 5|2 0
- Under is 26-10 in Hurricanes last 36 games as a favorite of -151 to -200. 72.20% (36) 10|26 0
- Under is 4-1 in Hurricanes last 5 games as an underdog of +151 to +200. 80.00% (5) 1|4 0
- Trend Over is 3-0-1 in Jets last 4 games as a road underdog of +201 or greater. Hit % 100.00% (4) O/U 3|0 Push 1 W/L
- Under is 8-1-1 in Jets last 10 games as a favorite of -110 to -150. 88.90% (10) 1|8 1
- Under is 9-1-1 in Jets last 11 games as a road underdog of +110 to +150. 90.00% (11) 1|9 1
- Over is 3-0-1 in Jets last 4 games as an underdog of +201 or greater. 100.00% (4) 3|0 1
Jets vs Hurricanes H2H Meeting Trends
- Trend Under is 9-4 in the last 13 meetings. Hit % 69.20% (13) O/U 4|9 Push 0 W/L
- Under is 6-1 in the last 7 meetings in Carolina. 85.70% (7) 1|6 0
- Jets are 7-2 in the last 9 meetings in Carolina. 77.80% (9) 0 7|2
- Jets are 4-1 in the last 5 meetings. 80.00% (5) 0 4|1
Stats Brought to You by Scores & Stats
Intertops is the Worlds First Online Sportsbook and Still Going Strong!!