Tigers and Yellow Jackets on New ACC Network
The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets and the Clemson Tigers will clash at “Death Valley” in Clemson on Thursday in season-opening action. The ACC Network makes it’s debut tonight in grand fashion as the top-ranked Tigers look to tame a new look Yellow Jackets squad. ESPN Game Day is in the house as well. It should be an electric night in the old cow-town.
TV: 8 p.m. ET, ACC Network. LINE: Clemson -37; O/U: 61.5.
As if playing at Clemson hadn’t been tough enough in recent years, Georgia Tech has to journey to Death Valley tonight. The University will honor the Tigers CFP National Championship team from last season. Clemson is heavily favored as it begins its title defense. They are looking for a 16th straight victory.
The Tigers are coming off their fourth consecutive ACC title. They’ve been especially dominant at home and that doesn’t look to change this season. They’ve gone undefeated at home in four of the last five seasons. Clemson’s ACC dominance has been especially prevalent against the Coastal Division. The Tigers are 11-1 in cross-divisional matchups since 2015. That includes seven straight victories. That stretch also includes four consecutive victories over the Yellow Jackets. Georgia Tech hasn’t won at Clemson since 2008. Georgia Tech has not beaten a top-ranked team since knocking off Virginia in 1990. That was en route to a share of the 1990 national championship.
This, That, and a Dart Throw
Georgia Tech was 7-6 in 2018, but It figures to be a tough season for the Yellow Jackets. They are a team in transition from the triple-option attack they ran for 11 years under Paul Johnson to a pro-style spread offense under new coach Geoff Collins. Georgia Tech has 55 freshmen on the roster. That includes redshirt James Graham, as he is one of three inexperienced quarterbacks looking to win the job. The overhaul won’t be quite as dramatic on defense, but the Yellow Jackets are moving from a 3-4 scheme to a 4-2-5 look. In doing this the Yellow Jackets may be a bit under-sized. Georgia Tech has played 274 consecutive games without being shut out. The team was last blanked 38-0 at Florida State in 1997.
Clemson was 15-0 in 2018 and won the CFP National Championship over Alabama. The Tigers are the only team in the nation to return a 3,000-yard passer, in Trevor Lawrence, a 1,500-yard rusher, in Travis Etienne, and a 1,000-yard receiver in Justyn Ross. Lawrence threw touchdown passes to four different players and Etienne scored twice in the Tigers’ 49-21 win at Georgia Tech last season. This year they’re working behind an experienced offensive line that includes four senior starters. Fireworks should explode most games this season from that crowd. The defense is a bit more of a question mark for Clemson. They return only four starters and have to replace the entire starting defensive line. Lawrence is looking to match Tajh Boyd’s school record of three consecutive games with at least 300 yards passing. He has thrown 169 passes without an interception. That is 18 shy of Boyd’s record mark.
Don’t have an account yet? Sign Up Here. Please Don’t forget to read our Review of BetPhoenix.ag and see why we recommend having them as one of your top online sportsbooks.
The Dart Throw: Clemson 52, Georgia Tech 13
Clemson Tigers Trends
- Trend Under is 5-2 in Tigers last 7 games as a home underdog of 3.5-10.0. Hit % 71.40% (7) O/U 2|5 Push 0 W/L
- Under is 20-8-1 in Tigers last 29 games as a home favorite of 10.5 or greater. 71.40% (29) 8|20 1
- Under is 14-6 in Tigers last 20 games as a favorite of 0.5-3.0. 70.00% (20) 6|14 0
- Under is 11-3-1 in Tigers last 15 games as a home favorite. 78.60% (15) 3|11 1
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Trends
- Trend Over is 4-1-1 in Yellow Jackets last 6 games as a road favorite. Hit % 80.00% (6) O/U 4|1 Push 1 W/L
- Under is 15-7 in Yellow Jackets last 22 games as an underdog of 10.5 or greater. 68.20% (22) 7|15 0
- Over is 3-0-1 in Yellow Jackets last 4 games as a road favorite of 3.5-10.0. 100.00% (4) 3|0 1
- Under is 5-1 in Yellow Jackets last 6 games as a favorite of 0.5-3.0. 83.30% (6) 6|14 0
Georgia Tech vs Clemson Meetings Trends
- Trend Yellow Jackets are 0-3-1 ATS in their last 4 meetings. Hit % 0.00% (4) O/U Push 1 W/L 0|3
- Yellow Jackets are 0-4-1 ATS in their last 5 meetings in Clemson. 0.00% (5) 1 0|4
- Favorite is 3-0-1 ATS in their last 4 meetings. 100.00% (4) 1 3|0
- Home team is 6-2-1 ATS in their last 9 meetings. 75.00% (9) 1 6|2
Stats brought to you by Scores & Stats.
Georgia Tech home to USF Saturday, September 7
Clemson home to Texas A&M Saturday, September 7
Check out the BetPhoenix Super Bowl LIV Early Bird Promotion of either a 100% Cash bonus (16x) or a 200% Free play bonus (16x) on deposits of $300 or more + Get Entry Into Super Bowl Contest