Red Sox and Phillies Wrap Up Two Game Series
The Boston Red Sox host the Philadelphia Phillies Wednesday night in the back end of a two game series. The Boston Red Sox refuse to die. Their odds of repeating as World Series champions have plummeted to +4000. After series wins over Cleveland and Baltimore, the Red Sox are within earshot of a American League Wild Card berth. They’ll try to close the gap tonight at Fenway Park.
TV: 7:10 p.m. ET, MLB Network, NBCS Philadelphia, NESN (Boston); LINE: Red Sox -162; O/U: 12 Under -113.
PITCHING MATCHUP: Phillies LH Drew Smyly (2-6, 7.09 ERA) vs. Red Sox RH Rick Porcello (11-9, 5.49)
Jean Segura continued his hot streak with a two-run double in the first inning. He ended up coming home on Scott Kingery’s single in a three-run first inning for Philadelphia. They benefited from Boston’s base-running blunder in the ninth inning to secure the teams fifth win in their last seven games. Segura has four doubles, four RBI’s and four runs scored during his four-game hitting streak. Heading into his encounter with right-hander Rick Porcello tonight he is 4-for-9 with a solo homer in his career against him.
Xander Bogaerts extended his hitting streak to eight games with a double to lead off the ninth. Then he negated it with his ill-advised decision to run toward third on a grounder to shortstop. It was the first out of the inning. You never make the first or third out at 3rd base, as the runner is already in scoring position. Bogaerts has 13 hits and seven RBI’s in his last eight games for the Red Sox. They currently sit six games out of the final wild-card spot in the American League.
This, That, and a Phillies vs Red Sox Dart Throw
Rick Porcello will take the mound for the Red Sox. He was the 2016 AL Cy Young winner, but that award looks like it was an anomaly. Porcello has Boston at 15-10 this year in games he has started. That number is inflated as he has been gifted 7.24 runs of support per game, driving the Over to a 17-8 record. Porcello continued his trend of alternating good and bad starts over his last six starts. Friday he permitted one run on four hits pver six innings of a 9-1 shellacking versus Baltimore. He was able to keep the ball in the park after surrendering 12 homers over his previous seven outings. Bryce Harper, who is 0-for-7 with three strikeouts, has been flustered by Porcello. Porcello owns a 2-1 record with a 4.32 ERA in four career starts versus the Phillies.
Southpaw Drew Smyly has had an even worse year for Philadelphia. He’s yet to fully recover from the Tommy John surgery he had in 2017. Despite his woes, the Phillies have won four of Smyly’s five starts (Over 3-2) thus far. Smyly bolted out of the blocks in his first two starts with Philadelphia before stumbling in his last three trips to the mound. He has surrendered 14 earned runs and six homers in 15-2/3 innings. Smyly received his second straight no-decision on Thursday despite allowing five runs, on seven hits, over five innings against the Chicago Cubs.
The Red Sox Jackie Bradley Jr. (2-for-11, four strikeouts) and J.D. Martinez (0-for-6, four strikeouts) have struggled against Smyly. He owns a 3-1 mark with a 2.18 ERA and 0.99 WHIP in 10 career appearances (eight starts) versus Boston. Philadelphia catcher J.T. Realmuto is 0-for-8 in his last two contests. Until this buzz-saw he was 12-for-23 with four homers, nine RBIs and eight runs scored in a six-game span. Harper is 8-for-21 with four homers, 10 RBI’s and seven runs scored in his last six contests.
Please Read our Review and See Why we Recommend JazzSports!!
The Dart Throw: Red Sox 9, Phillies 4
Boston Red Sox Trends
- Trend Over is 33-16-2 in Red Sox last 51 games with the total set at 7.0-8.5. Hit % 67.30% (51) O/U 33|16 Push 2 W/L
- Over is 5-2 in Red Sox last 7 games a home underdog of +110 to +150. 71.40% (7) 5|2 0
- Over is 4-1 in Red Sox last 5 interleague games as a favorite of -201 or greater. 80.00% (5) 4|1 0
- Over is 13-4-2 in Red Sox last 19 home games with the total set at 7.0-8.5. 76.50% (19) 13|4 2
Philadelphia Phillies Trends
- Trend Under is 4-1 in Phillies last 5 games with the total set at 7.0-8.5. Hit % 80.00% (5) O/U 33|16 Push 2 W/L
- Over is 5-1 in Phillies last 6 road games with the total set at 6.5 or lower. 83.30% (6) 5|1 0
- Under is 20-6-2 in Phillies last 28 games as a road favorite of -151 to -200. 76.90% (28) 6|20 2
- Over is 5-1 in Phillies last 6 games as a road favorite of -110 to -150. 83.30% (6) 5|1 0
Phillies vs Red Sox Meetings Trends
- Trend Under is 5-0-1 in the last 6 meetings in Boston. Hit % 100.00% (6) O/U 0|5 Push 1 W/L
- Under is 7-1-2 in the last 10 meetings. 87.50% (10) 1|7 2
- Phillies are 4-13 in the last 17 meetings in Boston. 23.50% (17) 0 4|13
- Phillies are 4-9 in the last 13 meetings. 30.80% (13) 0 4|9
Trends Brought to you by Scores & Stats
Get a 150% Free Play Bonus by using code HH150 at JazzSports!!