Playoff Implications are High for Rays
The New York Yankees have clinched the American League East, but the Tampa Bay Rays can still make the playoffs if they can hold onto the last AL Wild Card berth. The Rays haven’t made things easy on themselves. They have trailed in their last eight games but they’ve managed to win five of them.
TV: 7:10 p.m. ET, ESPN; YES (New York), FS Sun (Tampa Bay); LINE: Rays -145; O/U: 8.5 Under -120.
PITCHING MATCHUP: Yankees LH J.A. Happ (12-8, 5.01 ERA) vs. Rays RH Charlie Morton (15-6, 3.15)
Tampa Bay’s Ji-Man Choi has turned into He-Man Choi of late. The Rays are damn sure glad for it as Yankees on Wednesday in the finale of their two-game series. Choi belted a walk-off home run in the 12th inning to give the Rays a 2-1 victory Tuesday. The blast kept them one-half game ahead of Cleveland for the final American League wild card spot. Choi’s three-run homer helped Tampa Bay defeat Boston 7-4 on Monday.
The Rays are unusually healthy heading into the home stretch. Not so for the Yankees. DH Edwin Encarnacion (.875 OPS) is completing his recovery from a strained oblique. Catcher Gary Sanchez (.849 OPS) isn’t expected back from his strained groin until New York’s season-ending series against the Texas Rangers. SS Gleybar Torres (.889 OPS) is considered day-to-day after tweaking his hamstring on Friday.
New York, which is 5-5 in its last 10 games. They have fell one game behind Houston for the best record in baseball. Tampa Bay ace Charlie Morton makes what will likely be his final start of the regular season Wednesday while the Yankees’ J.A. Happ will start. C.C. Sabathia will serve as a reliever in the postseason will follow in relief.
This, That, and a Dart Throw
Happ has the Yankees at 20-10 this year with the Over at 12-16 in his starts. Sabathia pitched a perfect inning Tuesday in his first career regular-season game out of the bullpen. Happ is 2-0 with a 2.30 ERA in his last five starts after a no-decision Friday versus Toronto. He allowed two runs over 5-1/3 innings of New York’s 4-3 loss. Tampa Bay’s Avisail Garcia is 5-for-14 with two home runs versus Happ. Happ is 5-4 with a 4.15 ERA in 19 games (18 starts) against the Rays in his career. He is 1-0, 2.61 in two turns this season.
Morton still has an outside chance of winning the Cy Young this year for the Rays. He has a team record of 21-11 (Over 16-15-1) for Tampa. Morton received a no-decision after yielding two runs and five hits with eight strikeouts over 6-1/3 innings of Tampa Bay’s 5-4 victory over Boston on Friday. He is 7-3 with a 2.75 ERA in 16 home starts this season. He last loss at Tropicana Field on Aug. 16th. New York’s Brett Gardner is 8-for-17 with three home runs and two doubles versus Morton. The veteran hurler is 3-2 with a 4.54 ERA in seven starts against the Yankees. He is 1-1 with a 5.28 ERA in three turns this season.
Please Read our Review and See Why we Recommend JazzSports!!
The Dart Throw: Rays 4, Yankees 3
Tampa Bay Rays Trends
- Trend Under is 44-21-3 in Rays last 68 games with the total set at 9.0-10.5. Hit % 67.70% (68) O/U 21|44 Push 3 W/L
- Under is 4-0 in Rays last 4 games with the total set at 6.5 or lower. 100.00% (4) 0|4 0
- Over is 34-16-5 in Rays last 55 games with the total set at 7.0-8.5. 68.00% (55) 34|16 5
- Under is 4-1 in Rays last 5 home games with the total set at 6.5 or lower. 80.00% (5) 1|4 0
New York Yankees Trends
- Trend Over is 5-1 in Yankees last 6 games with the total set at 6.5 or lower. Hit % 83.30% (6) O/U 0|4 Push 0 W/L
- Under is 4-1 in Yankees last 5 games as a road underdog of +201 or greater. 80.00% (5) 1|4 0
- Under is 4-1 in Yankees last 5 games as a road favorite of -151 to -200. 80.00% (5) 1|4 0
- Under is 6-1 in Yankees last 7 games as a road favorite of -110 to -150. 85.70% (7) 1|6 0
Yankees vs Rays Meetings Trends
- Trend Over is 7-3-1 in the last 11 meetings in Tampa Bay. Hit % 70.00% (11) O/U 7|3 Push 1 W/L
- Under is 5-1-1 in the last 7 meetings. 83.30% (7) 1|5 1
- Yankees are 9-4 in the last 13 meetings. 69.20% (13) 0 9|4
Trends Brought to you by Scores & Stats
Get a 150% Free Play Bonus up to $1K by using code HHS100 if you don’t like the above Bonus