Falcons Look to Rebound; Eagles Look to Propel Forward in NFL Week 2
The Philadelphia Eagles travel to the deep south to take on the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday Night Football in NFL Week 2. The Eagles aim to begin a season with a 2-0 mark for the second time in four year sand the Falcons are looking to avoid an 0-2 start for the first time since 2007.
The Eagles were able to overcome a 17-point deficit in their 32-27 win over Washington in week one. Atlanta was unable to climb out of a four-touchdown deficit in its 28-12 setback to Minnesota in a game that was worse than the score. The Falcons committed four turnovers that led to all of the Vikings points.
TV: 8:20 p.m. ET, NBC. LINE: Eagles -1; O/U: 52.5
Philadelphia’s Carson Wentz had not trouble finding chemistry with the returning DeSean Jackson. The duo hooked up on a pair of long scoring strikes to highlight his three-touchdown performance versus the Redskins. “Once again, this is his show, and he is driving the car,” said Jackson. The veteran standout reeled in eight receptions for 154 yards against his former team.
Pennsylvania-born Matt Ryan was intercepted twice and sacked four times last week. It led to his poor performance and to put the Falcons in a sizable hole versus the Vikings. A banged up offensive line did little for Devonta Freeman either. He had eight carries for 19 yards and a fumble. “I don’t want to make (it about) one game … that’s not indicative of who I think we will be. Or, who we were in that game,” Atlanta coach Dan Quinn said. Ryan has thrown at least one touchdown pass in 16 consecutive games. The streak dates back to Atlanta’s 18-12 loss to Philadelphia in the 2018 season opener.
This, That, and a NFL Week 2 Dart Throw
The Eagles started the season 1-0 last week. It is quite apparent that wideout Alshon Jeffrey (receiving and rushing touchdown) and tight end Zach Ertz will have significant impacts on the passing game. What is not exactly clear is how Philadelphia’s crowded backfield will play out this season. Speedy rookie Miles Sanders and veteran Darren Sproles each had 12 touches in the opener. Off-season acquisition Jordan Howard amassed 55 yards from scrimmage on just 17 plays. “Sometimes it’s the hot hand,” Eagles coach Doug Pederson said, “but sometimes it’s based on game plan and who is in at that particular time.”
Defensive tackle Fletcher Cox, who is nursing a toe injury, has registered 3.5 sacks in his past four games against Atlanta and had 7.5 of his 10.5 sacks last season on the road.
The Falcons looked apathetic and unprepared in starting the 2019 season with an 0-1 record. They did have a few highlights. Julio Jones found the end zone in the fourth quarter to salvage his season-opening performance. He has recorded five 100-plus-yard efforts in six all-time meetings with Philadelphia. Another such performance would be Jones’ 50th of his career. It would also likely push his receiving yard total (10,762) past former teammate Roddy White (10,863).
Fellow wideout Calvin Ridley also scored a late touchdown against Minnesota. Ridley is happy to return to Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta where he collected six receiving scores in eight games during his rookie season. Tight end Austin Hooper continues to provide a trusted outlet for Ryan. He reeled in a team-leading nine catches in the opener.
The Dart Throw: Falcons 34, Eagles 24
Please Read our Review and See Why we Recommend JazzSports!!
NFL Week 2 Trends
Atlanta Falcons Trends
- Trend Under is 5-0 in Falcons last 5 games as a home underdog of 3.5-10.0. Hit % 100.00% (5) O/U 0|5 Push 0 W/L
- Over is 6-1 in Falcons last 7 games as an underdog of 10.5 or greater. 85.70% (7) 6|1 0
- Over is 3-1-1 in Falcons last 5 games as a home favorite of 10.5 or greater. 75.00% (5) 3|1 1
- Under is 5-2 in Falcons last 7 games as a favorite. 71.40% (7) 2|5 0
Philadelphia Eagles Trends
- Trend Over is 5-0 in Eagles last 5 games as an underdog of 10.5 or greater. Hit % 100.00% (5) O/U 6|1 Push 0 W/L
- Over is 5-0 in Eagles last 5 games as a road underdog of 10.5 or greater. 100.00% (5) 5|0 0
- Over is 5-1 in Eagles last 6 games as a road favorite of 0.5-3.0. 83.30% (6) 5|1 0
- Under is 4-1 in Eagles last 5 games as a road favorite of 3.5-10.0. 80.00% (5) 1|4 0
Eagles vs Falcons Meeting Trends
- Trend Under is 4-1 in the last 5 meetings in Atlanta. Hit % 80.00% (5) O/U 1|4 Push 0 W/L
- Under is 4-0 in the last 4 meetings. 100.00% (4) 0|4 0
- Home team is 4-0 ATS in their last 4 meetings. 100.00% (4) 0 4|0
Stats Brought to you by Scores & Stats
Get a 150% Free Play Bonus up to $1K by using code HHS100 if you don’t like the above Bonus