76ers Looking for 4th Straight over Celtics
The Boston Celtics and the Philadelphia 76ers battle on Thursday night at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia. Both teams are getting healthy and are still a little banged up at the same time. This should be a classic NBA Eastern Conference matchup between these two contenders. The 76ers have won the past three regular-season meetings after the Celtics won 17 of the previous 19.
TIME: 7 p.m. ET. TV: TNT, NBCS Philadelphia, TSN5; LINE: Philadelphia -2; O/U: 218
Center Joel Embiid will be on the sidelines for the Philadelphia 76ers. Embiid dislocated his left ring finger during Monday’s victory over the Oklahoma City Thunder. The digit was pointing in a grotesque direction at one point before he returned to the game. The 76ers are still waiting to receive a timetable of how long Embiid will be out. One thing we know is he didn’t regret his return to the court and helping the squad snap a four-game losing streak.
“It was pretty bad,” Embiid told reporters. “I basically could only play with one hand. It was really bad. But in the midst of the losing streak, I just wanted to make sure that I do everything possible to get us a win, and I was glad to get us a win.” Philadelphia is 2-0 this season against the Celtics.
Boston has lost two consecutive games after falling 129-114 to the visiting San Antonio Spurs on Wednesday. Boston never led in the contest. They trailed by as many as 23 and allowed its second most points of the season.
This, That, and a Dart Throw
The Celtics are 25-10 on the season. Guard Kemba Walker returned from a three-game sabbatical due to illness and played just 18 minutes. He scored only six points as he was ejected in the third quarter after contesting a no-call on a hard screen. The screen, by San Antonio’s LaMarcus Aldridge, sent him flying to the floor. “The ref missed the call and I just voiced my opinion a little bit and the rest was history,” Walker told reporters afterward. “First time I’ve ever been ejected in my whole life … I am a two-time sportsmanship award winner as well. So maybe I should get a little leeway.” Small forward Gordon Hayward scored a team-best 18 points versus the Spurs. He knocked down a season-best four 3-pointers.
The 76ers are 24-14 on the season. Power forward Al Horford spent the past three seasons with Boston and figures to receive more of a role with Embiid out. He racked up 13 points against the Thunder after scoring seven or fewer in each of his previous four games. “You say ‘What does the world look like without Joel?’ and my mind immediately goes to defense,” Philadelphia coach Brett Brown told reporters. “You can talk about Al and what role is he in now, maybe there’s a line drawn through both of those for a period of time, but I’m looking forward to seeing him play against his old team (Thursday).”
Horford is in his 13th season and is shooting a career-worst 45.3 percent from the field while averaging just 12.3 points.The output would be his lowest mark since the 2008-09 campaign. Philadelphia had 31 assists against Oklahoma City. They are 9-1 this season when pickup up 30 or more.
Please Read our Review and See Why we Recommend JazzSports!!
The Dart Throw: Celtics 108, 76ers 103
NBA on TNT Trends
- Trend Over is 7-2 in 76ers last 9 games as a home underdog. Hit % 77.80% (9) O/U 7|2 Push 0 W/L
- Over is 5-0 in 76ers last 5 games as a favorite of 5.0-10.5. 100.00% (5) 5|0 0
- Over is 4-0 in 76ers last 4 games as a home favorite of 5.0-10.5. 100.00% (4) 4|0 0
- Over is 4-1 in 76ers last 5 games as a favorite of 11.0 or greater. 80.00% (5) 4|1 0
- Trend Under is 6-1 in Celtics last 7 games as a favorite of 5.0-10.5. Hit % 85.70% (7) O/U 5|0 Push 0 W/L
- Under is 4-0 in Celtics last 4 games as a road underdog of 5.0-10.5. 100.00% (4) 0|4 0
- Under is 4-1 in Celtics last 5 games as an underdog of 11.0 or greater. 80.00% (5) 1|4 0
- Over is 18-7-1 in Celtics last 26 games as a favorite of 11.0 or greater. 72.00% (26) 4|1 0
Celtics vs 76ers H2H Meeting Trends
- Trend Under is 4-1 in the last 5 meetings in Philadelphia. Hit % 80.00% (5) O/U 1|4 Push 0 W/L
- Celtics are 11-4 ATS in the last 15 meetings. 73.30% (15) 0 11|4
- Celtics are 5-2 ATS in the last 7 meetings in Philadelphia. 71.40% (7) 0 5|2
Stats brought to you by Scores&Stats
Boston home to New Orleans Saturday, January 11
Philadelphia at Dallas Saturday, January 11
Get a 150% Free Play Bonus up to $1K by using code HHS100 if you don’t like the above Bonus