Pitching Duel on Tap for Astros & Nationals
The Houston Astros can win their second World Series tonight when they host the Washington Nationals in Game 6. A pitchers duel is expected to open up quickly tonight. Justin Verlander (2.58 regular season ERA) is due up for Houston opposite Stephen Strasburg in a battle of premium right-handers.
TV: 8:07 p.m. ET, FOX; LINE: Astros -173; O/U: 7 Over -125.
PITCHING MATCHUP: Nationals RH Stephen Strasburg (4-0, 1.93 ERA) vs. Astros RH Justin Verlander (1-3, 4.15)
The Nationals are down 3-2 after taking the first two games of this best-of-seven series in Houston. They then lost the next three at home. Strasburg has been absolutely dominant this postseason. He has led Washington to victory in all four of his starts, and the over is 3-1. He also pitched three scoreless innings of relief during the National League Wild Card Game.
The Astros won the 2017 World Series with a clinching Game 7 victory on the road but can try to close this one out at Minute Maid Park. They were an MLB-best 60-21 during the regular season and 5-1 in the playoffs at home before losing the first two to the Nationals last week.
Verlander hasn’t enjoyed all that much playoff success since striking out 300 batters during the regular season. The 2011 Triple Crown winner and American League MVP has three team losses in five starts. He also lost Game 2 of the World Series last Wednesday. Strasburg and the Nationals prevailed 12-3 as +158 road dogs. Don’t let the score fool you as it was a tied game going into the 7th inning. Catcher Kurt Suzuki (.809 OPS) was 2-for-5 with a home run off Verlander, but hasn’t played the past two games because of a hip flexor issue.
This, That, and a Dart Throw
Strasburg let up two runs over six innings with seven strikeouts in the Game 2 victory for Washington. The outing left him at 5-2 with a 1.34 ERA in his postseason career. He has an astounding 40 strikeouts against two walks across 28 innings in the 2019 playoffs. He has held opponents to a .234 average. Astros third baseman Alex Bregman got to Strasburg for a two-run homer in Game 2 before the 31-year-old settled in. The Nationals were 1-for-21 with runners in scoring position in the three straight losses at home.
Verlander was locked in a 2-2 tie with Strasburg entering the seventh inning of Game 2. He served up a tie-breaking home run to Kurt Suzuki and walked the next man before departing. He ended up getting charged with four runs overall. Verkabder has allowed exactly four runs in three of his last four starts for Houston. He enters this one at 0-5 with a 5.73 ERA in six career World Series starts. “That would obviously be a moment that … I would cherish in my career, if that were able to happen,” Verlander told reporters when asked about potentially ending his World Series losing streak with a decisive Game 6 triumph. 2B Jose Altuve is batting .360 in the World Series.He also hit .350 in the American League Division Series and .348 in the ALCS.
Check Out Everything GTBets has to Offer by reading our review.
The Dart Throw: Astros 4, Nationals 2
Houston Astros Trends
- Trend Under is 4-1 in Astros last 5 games with the total set at 9.0-10.5. Hit % 80.00% (5) O/U 1|4 Push 0 W/L
- Over is 4-0-1 in Astros last 5 interleague games as a favorite of -201 or greater. 100.00% (5) 4|0 1
- Over is 8-3 in Astros last 11 games a home underdog of +151 to +200. 72.70% (11) 8|3 0
- Over is 7-3-1 in Astros last 11 games as a favorite of -151 to -200. 70.00% (11) 7|3 1
Washington Nationals Trends
- Trend Over is 4-0-1 in Nationals last 5 games with the total set at 9.0-10.5. Hit % 100.00% (5) O/U 1|4 Push 0 W/L
- Over is 4-1 in Nationals last 5 road games with the total set at 6.5 or lower. 80.00% (5) 4|1 0
- Under is 12-3 in Nationals last 15 interleague games as a favorite of -201 or greater. 80.00% (15) 4|0 1
- Under is 5-1 in Nationals last 6 games as a road favorite of -151 to -200. 83.30% (6) 1|5 0
World Series Head 2 Head Meetings Trends
- Trend Under is 7-3 in the last 10 meetings in Houston. Hit % 70.00% (10) O/U 3|7 Push 0 W/L
- Over is 4-1-1 in the last 6 meetings. 80.00% (6) 4|1 1
- Nationals are 10-1 in the last 11 meetings in Houston. 90.90% (11) 0 10|1
- Nationals are 21-8 in the last 29 meetings. 72.40% (29) 0 21|8
Stats brought to you by Scores&Stats
GTBets is home to 100% Cash Bonus, Free 1/2 Points in Football & Basketball. Don’t Miss the Free Payouts Either!!!