Hot Canadiens Face Slumping Blue Jackets
The Montreal Canadiens host the struggling Columbus Blue Jackets on Tuesday night at Bell Centre in Montreal. The Canadiens are coming off of a 3-2 win over the Los Angeles Kings on Saturday. They are 5-1-1 in their last seven games. That’s allowed them to inch into third in the Atlantic Division and build some momentum for an important game on Tuesday versus the Blue Jackets.
The Jackets haven’t had the same level of success that they enjoyed last season. They’re currently on a 3-5-2 skid in their last 10 and have one of the worse goal differentials in the league at —18.
TV: 7 p.m. ET, FS Ohio (Columbus), RDS, TSN2 (Montreal); LINE: Canadiens -190; O/U: 6 Over -120.
The biggest struggle for Columbus this season has been a lack of offensive production. They’re scoring the second-least number of goals per game in the NHL. They averaging just 2.35 gpg. The loss of several high-profile offensive weapons this off-season was too much for the club to handle. Therefore a lot of pressure has been put on first-year starter netminder Joonas Korpisalo, It has resulted in a below-league average .895 save percentage and 3.13 GAA.
The Montreal Canadiens have earned points in six of their last seven games and will try to take advantage of another struggling opponent to keep the momentum going. The Canadiens look to extend their winning streak at home to four games when they host the slumping Columbus Blue Jackets on Tuesday night in the first of three matchups between the teams this season.
This, That, and a Dart Throw
Canadiens Captain Shea Weber became the 12th defenseman in league history to reach 100 power-play goals in Saturday’s 3-2 victory over Los Angeles. He missed Monday’s practice due to a virus but is expected to play. “I’m not surprised because when he get his opportunities, he makes the most of them,” goaltender Carey Price said of Weber, who has seven points in his last six games.
The Canadiens are 9-5-3 on the season. Weber’s milestone tallies continued a tear for Montreal’s defensemen. They have accounted for seven of the team’s last 10 goals, including two apiece by Victor Mete and Ben Chiarot. “We want our defensemen to support us on offense,” forward Jonathan Drouin said. “If you look at teams like Chicago or Tampa, the defensemen are always in motion and it creates confusion on the ice.” Drouin set up both of Weber’s goals Saturday. That boosted his team-high total to 15 points. He has three goals and four assists in 12 games versus Columbus.
Columbus enters the final stop of a three-game road trip with just one win in its last seven (1-5-1). They are coming off a 4-2 setback at Colorado on Saturday night. The Blue Jackets also will be without captain Nick Foligno He earned a three-game suspension from the NHL on Monday for elbowing Colorado’s Pierre-Edouard Bellemare.
Columbus has not been able to overcome the losses of two-time Vezina Trophy winner Sergei Bobrovsky and high-scoring forward Artemi Panarin to free agency. The team is allowing 3.41 goals per game while ranking 30th in scoring at 2.35 goals per game. This has led to a 6-8-3 record overall. Pierre-Luc Dubois and Gustav Nyquist are the only players to reach double digits in points. The duo is tied for the team lead with 11 points apiece. Cam Atkinson amassed a career-high 41 goals last season and has six tallies in 18 games versus Montreal. He has scored three times overall and once in 14 games.
Read our Review to See Why Intertops has been Around since 1996
The Dart Throw: Canadiens 4, Blue Jackets 3
- Trend Under is 3-0-1 in Canadiens last 4 games as a home favorite of -201 or greater. Hit % 100.00% (4) O/U 0|3 Push 1 W/L
- Under is 4-1 in Canadiens last 5 games as a favorite of -110 to -150. 80.00% (5) 1|4 0
- Under is 6-1-1 in Canadiens last 8 games as a home favorite of -110 to -150. 85.70% (8) 1|6 1
- Over is 4-1 in Canadiens last 5 games a home underdog of +151 to +200. 80.00% (5) 4|1 0
Columbus Blue Jackets
- Trend Under is 6-2 in Blue Jackets last 8 games as a home favorite of -151 to -200. Hit % 75.00% (8) O/U 2|6 Push 0 W/L
- Over is 4-1 in Blue Jackets last 5 games as a home favorite of -201 or greater. 80.00% (5) 0|3 1
- Under is 4-0 in Blue Jackets last 4 games as a road favorite of -201 or greater. 100.00% (4) 0|4 0
- Under is 6-0 in Blue Jackets last 6 games as a favorite of -110 to -150. 100.00% (6) 1|4 0
Head to Head Meeting Trends
- Trend Under is 24-4 in Blue Jackets last 28 Tuesday games. Hit % 85.70% (28) O/U 3|9 Push 0 W/L
- Under is 12-4 in Blue Jackets last 16 games as a favorite. 75.00% (16) 8|21 3
- Under is 4-1 in Blue Jackets last 5 games as a home underdog. 80.00% (5) 4|1 0
- Under is 4-1 in Blue Jackets last 5 games as a home favorite of -151 to -200. 80.00% (5) 2|6 0
Intertops is the Worlds First Online Sportsbook and Still Going Strong!!