Braves Look to Rebound after Late Collapse in Game 1
The St. Louis Cardinals and the Atlanta Braves will meet in Game 2 of their NLDS Playoff Series on Friday at SunTrust Park. Game One was everything that was expected with great pitching and lots of intensity, until late in the game. There was a little bit of everything in Game 1, and expect the same throughout this series.
Paul Goldschmidt rediscovered his home-run swing in the last week of the season and he flexed his muscles once again in the opener of the National League Division Series. He delivered in the Cardinals Game 1 victory.
TV: 4:37 p.m. ET, TBS; LINE: Cardinals -108; O/U: 8.5 Over -115.
PITCHING MATCHUP: Cardinals RH Jack Flaherty (11-8, 2.75 ERA) vs. Braves RH Mike Foltynewicz (8-6, 4.54)
Goldschmidt belted a mammoth 446-foot homer in the eighth inning to cap a multi-hit performance in St. Louis’ 7-6 victory over Atlanta on Thursday. It was the fifth time that he has gone deep in nine career playoff games. The All-Star has feasted on the Braves’ pitching in 2019. He has gone 9-for-23 against them. The slugger is just 4-for-21 with 10 strikeouts in his career versus Friday starter Mike Foltynewicz.
All-Star Ronald Acuna Jr. apparently didn’t learn his lesson after being benched for a lack of hustle during what he thought was a home-run ball on Aug. 18th. He once again was slow out of the box in what resulted in a long single in the seventh inning on Thursday. “It is frustrating,” first baseman Freddie Freeman said. “I think you have that conversation once. Kinda beat a dead horse if you keep having that same conversation over and over again. That can’t happen in the playoffs, can’t happen in the regular season.”
This, That, and a Dart Throw
Flaherty enters the playoffs with back-to-back scoreless outings and a sizzling 7-2 record for the Cardinals. Throw in a 0.91 ERA in his last 15 starts and the Cards like their chances. He was instrumental in helping the Cards win the NL Central. He also captured NL Pitcher of the Month honors for both August and September. The budding young superstar surrendered just three hits and struck out 17 batters over his last 14 innings. Those start were a no-decision at Arizona on Sept. 24 before blanking the Chicago Cubs five days later. Flaherty overcame five walks in six innings to pick up the win against Atlanta on May 14th. He then scattered three hits over six scoreless frames in a no-decision 12 days later.
Like Flaherty, Foltynewicz finished the regular season with a flourish for the Braves. He posting a 6-0 record over a nine-start stretch. Then he surrendered two homers in four innings of a 3-0 setback at the New York Mets on Saturday. The 27-year-old was on opposite ends of the spectrum in his two starts against St. Louis. He served up three homers and eight runs total on May 14th. Then he allowed one unearned run in six innings of a 5-2 win 10 days later. Marcell Ozuna has taken Foltynewicz deep on two occasions. Yadier Molina has also homered to highlight his 5-for-15 stretch versus him.
Please Read Our Review of A+ Rated BetOnline Sportsook.
The Dart Throw: Braves 3, Cardinals 2
NLDS Game 2 Trends
Atlanta Braves Trends
- Trend Under is 6-2 in Braves last 8 games with the total set at 9.0-10.5. Hit % 75.00% (8) O/U 2|6 Push 0 W/L
- Under is 10-4 in Braves last 14 games with the total set at 6.5 or lower. 71.40% (14) 4|10 0
- Over is 16-6-1 in Braves last 23 games with the total set at 7.0-8.5. 72.70% (23) 16|6 1
- Under is 5-1 in Braves last 6 home games with the total set at 6.5 or lower. 83.30% (6) 1|5 0
St. Louis Cardinals Trends
- Trend Over is 4-1 in Cardinals last 5 games with the total set at 9.0-10.5. Hit % 80.00% (5) O/U 4|1 Push 0 W/L
- Over is 13-6 in Cardinals last 19 games with the total set at 6.5 or lower. 68.40% (19) 4|10 0
- Over is 4-0 in Cardinals last 4 games with the total set at 7.0-8.5. 100.00% (4) 16|6 1
- Over is 11-2 in Cardinals last 13 road games with the total set at 6.5 or lower. 84.60% (13) 11|2 0
NLDS Meeting Trends
- Trend Over is 7-1 in the last 8 meetings in Atlanta. Hit % 87.50% (8) O/U 7|1 Push 0 W/L
- Over is 18-7 in the last 25 meetings. 72.00% (25) 18|7 0
- Cardinals are 10-3 in the last 13 meetings in Atlanta. 76.90% (13) 0 10|3
- Cardinals are 1-4 in the last 5 meetings. 20.00% (5) 0 1|4
Atlanta home to St. Louis Sunday, October 6
Stats are provided by Scores & Stats
Get a 50% Bonus up to $1,000 at BetOnline!!