Mets are in Must Win Situation Against Braves
The Atlanta Braves will be trying to extend a winning streak on Friday when they take on the New York Mets at Citi Field. The Braves look continue their surge when they take to the road for a six-game, three-city, two-country trip. The Braves lead the National League East by six games after winning five in a row. Their long homestand was capped by a 3-2 comeback victory to finish off a sweep of Miami on Thursday night.
TV: 7:10 p.m. ET, MLB Network, FS South (Atlanta), SNY (New York); LINE: Mets -180; O/U: 7.5 Under -114.
PITCHING MATCHUP: Braves RH Mike Foltynewicz (4-5, 6.09 ERA) vs. Mets RH Jacob deGrom (8-7, 2.61)
It’ll be Jacob deGrom toeing the rubber for the Mets in this contest. Right hander deGrom is 8-7 with a 2.61 ERA so far this season.
Freddie Freeman became the first Atlanta player to rack up 100 runs and 100 RBI’s since Hall of Famer Chipper Jones did so in 2007. He reached the feat when his solo homer tied the game in the eighth inning last night. It set the stage for Ronald Acuna Jr.’s walk-off single in the ninth for the win. The Braves will send Mike Foltynewicz to the mound for the series opener.
New York will counter with reigning NL Cy Young winner Jacob deGrom. He has not lost since June 28th against Atlanta at home. The Mets have won five in a row after beating Cleveland 2-0 in a rain-shortened contest Thursday. They have reeled off 13 victories in their last 14 games at home to remain 1-1/2 games out of an NL wild-card spot. Catcher Wilson Ramos knocked in both runs Thursday with a double in the fourth inning. He has hit safely in 16 straight games. Ramos has went 25-for-64 with three homers and 14 RBI’s during that stretch.
This, That, and a Dart Throw
The Braves have needed “Folty” to get back to last years form, and since being recalled from AAA, he has proven he is almost back. Foltynewicz has won two of his three starts since returning from the minors. He has allowed nine runs on 20 hits over 16 innings. He has thrown in 19 strikeouts aagainst seven walks combined. The former All-Star has served up three homers in his last three starts and 19 over 14 starts overall this season. Foltynewicz was 1-0 with a 1.64 ERA in two starts versus the Mets last year. He struck out 11 and walking one across 11 innings. 3B Josh Donaldson needs one homer to give the club three players with at least 30 (also Freeman and Acuna) for the first time since 2005.
DeGrom is unbeaten in his last eight trips to the mound for the Mets. He has permitted two or fewer runs in all of them after yielding one run over seven innings to win at Kansas City on Saturday. The fire-baller has struck out 194 batters and walked just 38 across 155 innings this season. He has giving up just one homer in his last seven outings. Freeman is 14-for-51 with three homers and two doubles against deGrom. He is 1-2 with a 3.72 ERA in three starts versus Atlanta in 2019. 2B Joe Panik is 13-for-38 with 10 runs scored since being signed by the club. He is riding a eight-game hitting streak. 1B Pete Alonso is one homer shy of tying Todd Hundley and Carlos Beltran (41) for the franchise single-season record.
Please Read Our Review of A+ Rated BetOnline Sportsook.
The Dart Throw: Braves 4, Mets 2
NY Mets Trends
- Trend Over is 4-1 in Mets last 5 games with the total set at 6.5 or lower. Hit % 80.00% (5) O/U 4|1 Push 0 W/L
- Over is 5-1 in Mets last 6 home games with the total set at 6.5 or lower. 83.30% (6) 5|1 0
- Under is 3-0-1 in Mets last 4 games as a home underdog of +201 or greater. 100.00% (4) 0|3 1
- Under is 14-6-1 in Mets last 21 games as a home underdog of +110 to +150. 70.00% (21) 6|14 1
Atlanta Braves Trends
- Trend Under is 5-0 in Braves last 5 games with the total set at 9.0-10.5. Hit % 100.00% (5) O/U 0|5 Push 0 W/L
- Under is 10-4 in Braves last 14 games with the total set at 6.5 or lower. 71.40% (14) 4|1 0
- Over is 23-7-2 in Braves last 32 games with the total set at 7.0-8.5. 76.70% (32) 23|7 2
- Under is 7-3 in Braves last 10 road games with the total set at 6.5 or lower. 70.00% (10) 3|7 0
Braves vs Mets Meeting Trends
- Trend Under is 3-1-1 in the last 5 meetings in New York. Hit % 75.00% (5) O/U 1|3 Push 1 W/L
- Braves are 9-4 in the last 13 meetings in New York. 69.20% (13) 0 9|4
- Braves are 8-3 in the last 11 meetings. 72.70% (11) 0 8|3
Atlanta at New York Saturday, August 24
Stats are provided by Scores & Stats
Get a 50% Bonus up to $1,000 at BetOnline!!