The idea of the New York Mets making the playoffs was laughable just one month ago. But after a sizzling run the Mets find themselves in the thick of the National League Wild Card race. They are chasing down the Chicago Cubs for the second and final spot. These two teams will meet Thursday in the finale of a three-game set at Citi Field.
TV: 7:10 p.m. ET, MLB Network, ABC-7 (Chicago), SNY (New York); LINE: Mets -195; O/U: 7 Under -120.
Jacob deGrom (2.56 ERA) is scheduled to throw for New York opposite Jon Lester (4.49 ERA) in a battle of big-name pitchers. deGrom has had the better 2019 season so far. The reigning NL Cy Young winner isn’t getting much help from his teammates. The Mets are 10-16 in his 26 starts (Over 14-11-1). The Cubs are 14-11 behind Lester with the Over at 14-9-2. They have lost four of six since the six-time All-Star came down with bronchitis in late July.
deGrom has been spectacular since the All-Star break. He has posted a 4-0 record and microscopic 1.04 ERA. The Mets fell four games behind Chicago for the second wild card following Wednesday’s 10-7 victory by the Cubs. J.D. Davis has homered in back-to-back nights and Jeff McNeil went deep among three hits for New York. They followed a five-game winning streak by dropping its last five, all at home.
Chicago answered a three-game slide by swatting five two-run homers in taking the first two games of the series. They have managed to stay within two games of wild-card leading Washington. Kyle Schwarber set a career high with his 31st homer and added an RBI double Wednesday. He has helped to put the Cubs in position for their first three-game road sweep since April 15-17.
This, That, and a Dart Throw
The Cubs Lester was unable to follow up a strong effort at Pittsburgh. He lasted only 4-1/3 innings and getting rocked for six runs and nine hits in a loss to Washington on Friday. He fell to 1-3 with an 8.51 ERA this month. The crafty veteran tossed six scoreless innings in his previous outing against the Pirates. They are the only team he has beaten in eight starts following the All-Star break. Amed Rosario is 5-for-9 against Lester. Lester has posted a 1-0 mark and 2.08 ERA in two starts versus the Mets in 2018.
Despite an overpowering performance in his last outing deGrom just can’t win for the Mets. He struck out 13 and allowed one run and four hits over seven innings versus Atlanta. deGrom had to settle for a no-decision. It marked the 17th consecutive start in which he allowed three runs or fewer and the seventh time since the All-Star break that he has permitted one earned run or less. Kris Bryant is 5-for-14 with two homers off deGrom. deGrom pitched six innings of two-run ball in a no-decision at Chicago on June 23.
Please Read Our Review of A+ Rated BetOnline Sportsook.
The Dart Throw: Mets 4, Cubs 1
NY Mets Trends
- Trend Over is 4-1 in Mets last 5 games with the total set at 6.5 or lower. Hit % 80.00% (5) O/U 4|1 Push 0 W/L
- Under is 4-1 in Mets last 5 games with the total set at 7.0-8.5. 80.00% (5) 1|4 0
- Over is 5-1 in Mets last 6 home games with the total set at 6.5 or lower. 83.30% (6) 5|1 0
- Under is 3-0-1 in Mets last 4 games as a home underdog of +201 or greater. 100.00% (4) 0|3 1
Chicago Cubs Trends
- Trend Over is 7-1 in Cubs last 8 games with the total set at 6.5 or lower. Hit % 87.50% (8) O/U 4|1 Push 0 W/L
- Over is 5-2 in Cubs last 7 road games with the total set at 6.5 or lower. 71.40% (7) 5|2 0
- Under is 4-1 in Cubs last 5 games as a road favorite of -151 to -200. 80.00% (5) 1|4 0
- Under is 4-1 in Cubs last 5 games as a road favorite of -110 to -150. 80.00% (5) 1|4 0
Cubs vs Mets Meetings Trends
- Trend Over is 12-5-1 in the last 18 meetings. Hit % 70.60% (18) O/U 12|5 Push 1 W/L
- Cubs are 6-0 in the last 6 meetings in New York. 100.00% (6) 0 6|0
- Cubs are 13-3 in the last 16 meetings. 81.20% (16) 0 13|3
Stats are provided by Scores & Stats
Get a 50% Bonus up to $1,000 at BetOnline!!